• Shrimp Curry - South Indian Style.


    Shrimp curry or prawn thokku or prawn curry:

    prawn curry

    This is a spicy thick curry called thokku, very famous in south India. The dish is very simple, this can be served with hot rice. 

    Ingredients:
    Shrimp or Prawn - 1 lbs or 500 gms.
    1 medium sized onion
    1 medium sized tomato.
    oil -  3 tbsp.
    ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp

    Spices:
    2 bay leaves
    1 cinnamon stick.
    half a tsp of Garam masala,
    2 tsp - chili powder, (optional or reduce according to your taste)
    1 tsp - coriander powder,
    1 tsp - cumin powder,
    1/2 tsp - fennel powder
    1/2 tsp - turmeric powder.
    A tbsp of fresh coarsely ground pepper

    Recipe
    Temper cinnamon and bay leaves in hot olive oil or sesame seed oil.

    Add sliced onions

    Add diced tomatoes

    Add ginger garlic paste


    Add turmeric powder, garam masala, chili powder, coriander powder, salt.

    Add the shrimp. 

    Cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium low. When shrimps are cooked and tender add ground pepper according to your taste.  
    Cook for another 10 minutes on medium high

    garnish with coriander leaves.



                                       



    4 comments:

    1. So what liquid was used? Water?

      ReplyDelete
    2. There is no water or any liquid added. Just add washed shrimp to the masala.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Howdy are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own.
      Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog?
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      Look into my homepage : douche spring

      ReplyDelete
    4. I came across your blog while looking for some Indian food recipes and liked a lot. How amazing! I will keep an eye on your post.

      ReplyDelete

    Keep updated, join us on facebook

    Nav2 (Do not Edit Here)

    Nav1 (Do not Edit Here)

    Slider(Do Not Edit Here!)

    Banner Ad

     

    Blogger news

    About

    I started learning cooking from my grandmother, Mrs. Gunaseeli, who gave me her recipes and tips and some measurement tools for making them. The red measuring cup that I use in my recipes was once owned by my granny. My grandmother is very passionate about cooking and travel. She has written many cook books. This blog is one way to document her writing and to make it available for everyone.

    Blogroll