• Tomato Chutney - South Indian Recipe


    Tomato chutney/ Thakkali chutney  

    Step by step photos

    tomato chutney

    Tomato chutney/ Thakkali chutney with Idli or dosa is always awesome dish. This is one of the dish, which has so many variation, almost every home in south India has its own way making tomato chutney and every variation is delicious.
    This recipe of tomato chutney is how we make it at home. Its simple and delicious.

    This is not a spicy recipe,the spicy color comes from turmeric and tomatoes. I have added a spicy chilli chutney which is another signature dish from south India and also check the recipe for Idli Milagai podi here..

    Ingredients

    1 tsp of chana dhal.
    1 medium sized onion, 1 medium sized tomato
    4 dry round chili, 2 garlic cloves. half a tsp of turmeric.Half a tsp of asfotedia (optional)
    If using green chili, use 2 medium sized one or another option is you add a tbsp of sambar powder.


    Important:
    Do not cover the pan while cooking, it will steam the onions and tomatoes, changing the taste.
    Do not add water while blending, it will change the consistency.


    Add 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil or sesame seed oil.
    When the oil is hot, add chana dhal.


    When the dhal turns golden brown, add all the ingredients except tomato.

    When the onions are cooked, it tuns transparent add tomato. 
    Add salt, this will prevent onions from roasting.

    Add turmeric, if adding sambar powder skip this.

    Add half a tsp of asfotedia (totally optional)
    Do not cover the pan while cooking.

    When the tomatoes are cooked, set aside to cool down.
    Add salt according to taste.
    Blend all together, do not add water while blending.






    Serve with Dosa or Idli..



    7 comments:

    1. Interesting, make a different version of this chutney. Nice recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Interesting, make a different version of this chutney. Nice recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Very good taste of Tomato Chutney recipe and it is famous recipe. This Chutney recipe is good for health and everyone like this recipe.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this information for my mission.
      Feel free to visit my web site : SOUTHWESTERN BISCUITS - *P COOKING CLASS

      ReplyDelete
    5. Yeah me too prefer to have tomato chutney with Dosa or idly:-) Spicy and flavourful chutney

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi there, You have done a great job. I'll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.
      Look into my website - paleo recipe cookbook

      ReplyDelete
    7. Simplу desire to say yοur article іs as surprising.
      The clearneѕs to your submit is simply excellent and that i сan suppοse you're knowledgeable on this subject. Well along with your permission allow me to snatch your RSS feed to stay updated with approaching post. Thank you one million and please continue the gratifying work.

      My webpage - samsung Galaxy Note 2
      Also visit my blog post ;

      ReplyDelete

    Keep updated, join us on facebook

    Nav2 (Do not Edit Here)

    Nav1 (Do not Edit Here)

    Slider(Do Not Edit Here!)

    Banner Ad

     

    Blogger news

    About

    I started learning cooking from my grandmother, Mrs. Gunaseeli, who gave me her recipes and tips and some measurement tools for making them. The red measuring cup that I use in my recipes was once owned by my granny. My grandmother is very passionate about cooking and travel. She has written many cook books. This blog is one way to document her writing and to make it available for everyone.

    Blogroll