• Cabbage Carrot Peas Poriyal


    Cabbage Carrot Peas Poriyal


    This is a famous poriyal, almost every mom of south India makes this poriyal on any day. Usually this is one of the poriyal that is found in marriage feast.. :)
    I am not a big fan of this poriyal, when I was young, but later when I got my own kitchen I started preparing this same poriyal just like my mom. How good it is to have fresh veggies with less oil and no cheese stuffs. I love this poriyal, I make so many variation with many other veggies. This one is basic.
    Poriyal/Thoran is another way of making fresh veggies in south of India. The veggies are neither crunchy like salad not soggy, it should be some what in the middle, well cooked but not over cooked. Over cooked vegetable with lentil is a different recipe(kootu).

    Ingredients:
    Cabbage shredded - 1 cup
    carrot - half a cup.
    Medium green chili - 3
    Frozen peas (thawed) - half a cup.
    1 small onion - chopped.
    2 tsp of oil.
    1 tsp - mustard seeds.
    salt and curry leaves.
    2 tbsp of water.

    Recipe:
    1. Heat oil and add mustard seeds. 
    2. Mustard seeds crackles and pops out, wait till then. 
    3. Add the chopped onions and green chilies and toss them until the onions are transparent.
    4. Add the cabbage and carrots and add salt with 2 tbsp of water. 
    5. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 min.
    6. Uncover and add thawed peas to the pan. 
    7. Cook for another 3-4 min on high.
    8. Transfer the poriyal to another serving dish, so that they stop cooking and color of veggies don't change.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Keep updated, join us on facebook

    Nav2 (Do not Edit Here)

    Nav1 (Do not Edit Here)

    Slider(Do Not Edit Here!)

    Banner Ad

     

    Blogger news

    About

    I started learning cooking from my grandmother, Mrs. Gunaseeli, who gave me her recipes and tips and some measurement tools for making them. The red measuring cup that I use in my recipes was once owned by my granny. My grandmother is very passionate about cooking and travel. She has written many cook books. This blog is one way to document her writing and to make it available for everyone.

    Blogroll