• Tres Leches cake


    Tres Leches cake

    The Mexican milk cake with step by step photos.


    The world famous Latin American Tres leches cake from my kitchen. I recently had this cake from my local bakery, what to say I am amazed. A sweet sponge cake in three different sweet milk syrups, I really wanted to try it on my own but wanted to try in a smaller quantity. First, I was not sure how it will turn out and the second thing, its just me and my husband so I wanted to make small cake in my 8x8 baking dish. But the cake turned out so delicious, super soft, super moist. I wish every one should give it a try because it calls for just very few, every day ingredients. I am also adding the recipes ratio for 13x9 baking dish at the end of this article.


    Ingredients for the cake: 

    Eggs - 3 Medium or 2 Large
    Flour - half a cup. I am using all purpose flour, but cake flour can also be used.
    Sugar - Half a cup
    Milk - 2 tbsp just to make the batter lighter.
    Butter - quarter cup at room temperature.
    Pure Vanilla extract - half a tsp
    baking powder 1 tsp
    salt 1 pinch

    Milk syrup:
    5 oz evaporated milk(small can)
    5 oz  condenzed milk
    1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream.
    half a tsp of vanilla extract. 

    whipped Topping

    1 cup of Heavy cream with 1 cup of confectionery sugar  
    or dried coconut flakes

    Recipe.
    Separate egg yolks and whites.
    Beat egg yolks, butter, half the sugar until fluffy.
    Add the flour and milk and beat all the ingredients in high for 3-4 min or until all the ingredients are well combined. 
    preheat the oven at 350F.
    In a clean dry bowl add the egg whites. Beat the egg whites with a clean dry whisk, this is important. If there is any dirt or water droplets egg whites will not raise.
    When the egg whites turns fluffy add a pinch of salt and the remaining sugar. whisk until you get the soft peaks.
    Now, gently mix batter and egg whites with a spatula, do not over mix because the egg whites will loose it stiffness.
    Pour the batter onto to a 8x8 baking dish and bake for 20 min or when inserting a toothpick or fork, it should come out clean.

    Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool. Let it cool for atleast 20 min. Now, gently poke the cake all over with a fork.

    Mix all the milk ingredients, spoon the mixture and pour over the cake gently, this is only time consuming part but worth the wait.
    It took almost another 20 min to spoon all the milk mixture on to the cake. It will be like a magic to see to how the cake absorbs the milk mixture, just a like water on a dry land.
    After adding all the milk mixture, cover and refrigerate the cake for 3 hrs. Yes waiting time is the worst part.





















    After 3 hrs, top the cake with whipped cream and dried coconut flakes. Pamper the chef with the first piece of the cake. sprinkle some chocolate chips on the top.

    Ingredients ratio for 13x9 baking dish
    Eggs - 5 large eggs.
    Butter half cup
    sugar 1 cup
    flour 1 cup.
    1/3 cup of milk.
    baking powder 2 tsp.
    vanilla extract half a tsp.

    Milk syrup
    1 cup heavy cream.
    12 oz can evaporated milk and 12 oz can of condensed milk 
    1 tsp vanilla extract.




    1 comments:

    Keep updated, join us on facebook

    Nav2 (Do not Edit Here)

    Nav1 (Do not Edit Here)

    Slider(Do Not Edit Here!)

    Banner Ad

     

    Blogger news

    About

    I started learning cooking from my grandmother, Mrs. Gunaseeli, who gave me her recipes and tips and some measurement tools for making them. The red measuring cup that I use in my recipes was once owned by my granny. My grandmother is very passionate about cooking and travel. She has written many cook books. This blog is one way to document her writing and to make it available for everyone.

    Blogroll