Simple and easy Chocolate Mousse
This is a very simple recipe with a great consistency and taste. Very light and airy, there is no better word to describe. This is ridiculously delicious dish. The good thing about this recipe is, it just calls for few ingredients, main ingredients are heavy cream, dark chocolate and one egg, these are ingredients for making chocolate mousse for two people. The bad thing about this recipe is, it needs time to set at least for 5 hrs, I refrigerated the mousse over night and the consistency was great.
I have added detailed description along with detailed pictures of every step. Enjoy this restaurant style chocolaty mousse with your loved ones.
Ingredients for 2:
1/3 cup of dark chocolate
1 Tbsp of water
1 Tbsp of unsalted butter.
1 Egg yolk
1 Egg white
1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract.
2 Tbsp of white sugar.
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1. Choose a bowl to fit the sauce pan. This is called double boiler, a method to melt chocolate and to cook the egg without curdling.
2. Add water to sauce pan and bring that to boil. Add chocolates, butter and water to a bowl.
3. Place the bowl on top of the sauce pan, so that the bowl does not touch the water.
4. This will take 2-3 min to melt the chocolate, you can also do this step in microwave. The butter added will give a glossy finish to the melted chocolate.
5. In another bowl, whisk egg yolk and white granular sugar until it is pale yellow.
6. Add the melted chocolate from the double boiler to the yolk little by little. This is called tempering of the eggs. If you add all the hot melted chocolate to egg, this will curdle the egg, so add little by little until all the chocolates are mixed with egg yolk.
7. Now place the bowl, back to the boiler and keep mixing the chocolate for 2-3 min on medium heat. This will cook the egg yolk slowly without curdling. You cannot microwave this process, double boiler is needed.
8. After few minutes, remove the chocolate mixture from heat, and let it cool.
9. In another bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks. This will take 3-4 mins.
10. In another clean dry bowl, with a clean dry beaters, beat the egg whites until they get stiff peaks.
11. Now, gently fold in the heavy cream, egg whites, chocolate mixture and a dash of vanilla extract using a spatula.
12. Pour the mixture on to 2 small bowls. Cover them with plastic wrap.
13. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy this light chocolaty mousse.
Egg whites stiff peak on the beater