Cabbage Kuzhambu/ Curry
Cabbage kuzhambu is very old recipe of Tamil Nadu. This recipe is also called cabbage poricha kuzhambu, This is prepared in a coconut gravy with some Indian spices. This dish tastes very close to korma, but its different because of the veggies used and consistency is runny. This recipe can be prepared with Indian drumstick or brinjal or cabbage. Sometimes with all the three veggies. If you have kids who don't eat cabbage or are you bored of making the same cabbage kootu and cabbage poriyal recieps, try this recipe I am sure you will try again.
Shredded Cabbage - 1 cup.
Onion - 1 (Chopped)
Tomato - 1 (Chopped)
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
1 Bay leaf
3 green cardamoms.
Shredded Coconut - 3 Tbsp
cashew nut - 3 or 4
green chilli - 1
kasa kasa or poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sombhu or fennel seeds - 1 tsp.
1. Add chopped onions, tomatoes and cabbage in a sauce pan and add 1 cup of water.
2. Cover and cook the vegetable on medium heat for 4-5 min.
3. After 5 min, add salt chilli powder and coriander powder, cover and cook for 3-4 min on medium heat.
4. Meanwhile, blend the shreeded coconut, cashews, fennel seeds and 1 green chilli in a blender by adding 1/2 cups of water. Make a thick paste.
5. Add this coconut paste to the cabbage curry and cook them for another 2-3 min or until the coconut is well cooked.
6. To temper, heat oil in a separate pan. When the oil is hot add cloves, cardamoms and bay leaf. After a minute add this hot oil with the spices to the cabbage kuzhambu.
7. Garnish with some fresh coriander and serve hot with rice.