South Indian Vegetable soup with Rice
My mother makes me this soup during my school days, just another way to get me all the veggies. This is my grandmother's recipe, I did not change anything in this recipe but you can alter the recipe as you like it, you can add green chilli or chilli powder or more spices and serve this as you like it. This just how I was fed, its how I make now. Trust me, its just a soothing soup. All you need is a pressure cooker or a big stock pot and 2 cups of diced vegetables of your choice.
Diced vegetables -2 cups (carrots, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, potato, green beans, etc)
Moong dal - 1 Tbsp.
salt, pepper and 1 Tbsp oil ( canola, vegetable or sunflower oil)
fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp.
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
2 - green cardamoms
2 - cloves.
1. Powder cumin seeds and feel seeds using a blender or a mortar.
2. In a pressure cooker, add all the vegetables and dal and add 4 cups of water. Pressure cook for 8-10 min.
3. If using a stock pot. cook the veggies and dal for 15 -20 min on medium heat.
4. Once veggies are cooked and almost mushy, add the powdered fennel seed and cumin powder.
5. Add oil in a sauce pan on medium high heat.
6. When the oil is nice and hot, add the spice. when the spices stops sizzling add them to the soup.
7. garnish with coriander and serve with rice.
Best for school lunch and work day lunch.