Malabar Fish CurryFish cooked in coconut curry and coconut milk. I am using Cod fish for preparing this curry, but any fish can be used. King fish or pomfret can also used. This is a very rich and creamy dish enjoy this malabar style fish curry with hot white rice.
Ingredients.Fish - 1 lb, I am using Cod Fish
1 Medium onion - chopped.
1 Medium tomato - chopped.
1 cup freshly grated coconut + 3 tbsp of coconut for extracting coconut milk.
3-4 cashew nut.
2 tbsp - tamarind extract.
3 tbsp - milk
1/4 cup - water.
2 tsp of chilli powder ( reduce according to choice. )
1 tsp - coriander powder
1 tsp - pepper powder
1 tsp - fennel powder
1 tsp - cumin powder
1/ 2 tsp - turmeric powder.
3 tbsp - oil. (sesame oil, coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil)
Blend the 1 cup of coconut, cashew nut and water.
Grind 3 Tbsp coconut with milk and filter the extract.
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and pinch of salt.
3. Add the tomatoes when the onions are cooked.
4. Cover and cook the onions and tomatoes, when they are soft and well cooked add the spices.
5. After 3-4 min add tamarind extract.
6.After cooking the tamarind extract for couple of minutes, add coconut mixture and ginger and garlic paste.
7. Add coconut milk. When the curry is all cooked and boiling add the fish steaks.
Cook for another 4-5 min on medium heat. .
Remove from heat, garnish with coriander and serve hot with steamed rice.