Drumstick Vendhaya kuzhambuVendhayam Kuzhambu is a quite famous recipe of south India. This curry can be made on any day especially when you don't have any special ingredients in pantry. All the ingredients in this recipes are very common ingredients of a south Indian pantry.
Most of the vendhya kuzhambu recipes do not call for any vegetable. Its a curry mainly made with tamarind pulp and fenugreek [vendhayam in Tamil], but I like to add some veggies especially veggies like Drumstick. Adding veggies is totally optional and is up to your choice.
Drumstick - 10 -15 pc
Tamarind pulp - 2 cups.
Sesame oil - 3 Tbsp.
Sambar powder - 1 Tbsp or according to taste.
Garlic pods - 4
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pepper corns - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp.
Asafoetida- Large pinch
curry leaves - 5 or 6 leaves.
To get the sambar powder recipe, please click here
1. Add oil to a heavy bottom kadai.
2. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and pepper corns.
3. Once the mustard and fenugreek seeds finished crackling, add the asafoetida , garlic and curry leaves and sauté them for a minute.
4. Now, keep the flame in medium low and the sambar powder to the hot oil. At this point, be careful that the sambar powder doesn't get burnt in the hot oil. Gently sauté the sambar powder for a minute.
5. Add drumstick pieces and add the tamarind pulp.
6. Make the curry boil for 6-7 minutes until the curry thickens.
Enjoy this curry with hot steamed rice.