• Shrimp fry with Mango Thokku


    Shrimp fry with Mango Thokku


    This is a very special post and my first post in 2014.  I am blogging after quiet a long time, blogging as a new mom with a baby boy sleeping in my room.
     This recipe is so close to heart for so many reasons may be I am in my new kitchen after being pampered as a new mom for long time or just shrimps, they are delicious as always. While buying shrimps these are the keywords that I look for... Jumbo or large, raw, deveined, tail off shrimps. The choice of selecting shrimps is as you like it some people like the shrimps with tail on or tail off, cooked or uncooked and etc., but I buy them fresh or frozen with these keywords.
     The important rule when cooking shrimps or prawns is, just make sure they are not over cooked. for 1 lbs od shrimp, cook them on medium heat uncovered for 7 to 8 minutes. After cleaning the shrimps pat dry them on a paper towel, so that the curry don't get watery. Do not over cook shrimps, over cooked shrimps are tough and rubbery with no flavors.
    I tried this recipe by adding a tsp of pickled mango thokku , it was different and tasted great. If this is not your taste, please ignore it. But next time when raw mangoes are in season I am going to grate in some fresh raw mangoes in this recipe.

    NOTE: Pickled Mango thokku is a pickle from India, mostly available in Indian grocery store.

    Ingredients

    Large, raw, deveined shrimps 1 lbs
    Tomato -1
    Green chilli -2 (optional)
    Coarse Ground pepper - 1 Tbsp
    Fine ground pepper 1 tsp
    Cumin seeds powder 1 tsp
    Fennel seeds powder 1 tsp
    Mango thokku - 1 tsp
    Sambar powder 1 tsp
    Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
    Oil of your choice, Handful of coriander and salt to taste.

    Recipe

    Pat dry the shrimps on a paper towel to remove excess water, and set it aside.
    In a food processor, blend all the ingredients EXCEPT the shrimps, coarse ground black pepper, mango thokku.
    In a wide pan, add 2 Tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot add the ground paste from the food processor and saute them until the raw flavor has gone and paste is almost cooked.
    Add the shrimps to sauteed masala and add the remaining ingredients and salt. Cook the shrimp on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
    Serve on platter garnish with coriander.












    1 comments:

    1. Its been a while.. But good to see you back. Congratulations on becoming a mom.

      Ramya

      ReplyDelete

    Keep updated, join us on facebook

    Nav2 (Do not Edit Here)

    Nav1 (Do not Edit Here)

    Slider(Do Not Edit Here!)

    Banner Ad

     

    Blogger news

    About

    I started learning cooking from my grandmother, Mrs. Gunaseeli, who gave me her recipes and tips and some measurement tools for making them. The red measuring cup that I use in my recipes was once owned by my granny. My grandmother is very passionate about cooking and travel. She has written many cook books. This blog is one way to document her writing and to make it available for everyone.

    Blogroll